by Craig Santucci | Managing Editor
Lets play General Manager of the New York Giants for a few minutes and while we are wearing that hat…lets use the philosophy of common sense for a change.
We need to take care of “our own” first and foremost.
1. Resign safety Antrel Rolle. Yes, we can debate his age; however, not signing him only opens up another hole that we don’t want to fix or spend money on. Not signing him brings us a cast of safety or rookie. Rolle is truly the vocal leader of this defense and has led the team in tackles 3 of 5 years. He has played out of position 50% of his playing time and does not complain. If Prince, DRC, and Thurmond are healthy it is in our best interest to “keep the band” together.
2. Resign Defensive Back Walter Thurmond. The Giants signed Thurmond to a one year deal in 2014 for 3.5 million. He was over paid for what we got. While Thurmond is extremely talented and came from the swarming Seattle defensive, he needs to stay healthy. On the other hand his talent is too good to pass up. We will resign Thurmond to another one year deal but for 1.5 to 2 million and incentives. Lowering the expenditure in 2015.
3. With the break out of wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. it is clear that protecting Eli Manning has become a major concern and an off-season priority. Why it took so long to figure out that a quarterback can succeed with a good line is beyond me. In past, the Giants have signed, David Baas, Kevin Boothe, John Jerry, J.D. Walton, and Geoff Schwartz. All have been busts except a spark from Kevin Boothe.
Sign Mike Iupati. The first free agent move is to unroll all the money we have saved and sign Mike Iupati, G from the San Francisco 49ers. Players like the first team in, it shows there committed and it is an upgrade over Kaepernick. The 3 time pro bowler is 27 and fits perfect with our team. He has been blocking for the might Frank Gore for 4 years. This will allow Weston Richburg to move back to center…his normal position.
4. Draft a pass rusher. The defensive backfield can be all world but without a pass rush it is only a matter a time before they get beat. Robert Ayers was a nice surprise. He is steady and has good inside moves with quick hands. Da’montre Moore still seems to be developing because he has not yet put together a complete year where the coaching staff need to keep him on the field. 2015 will dictated if he is a role player or a starter.
Whether JPP comes back or not the Giants need to reload. Playing GM allows me to scout, watch, and draft the top defensive end in the game. At this point a strong defensive end has not emerged as a must have with the ninth pick.
Hau’oli Kikaha from Washington is a super impressive player, but as an outside linebacker. He might not be a 4/3 guy.
5. Draft a tight end. Jace Amaro who was projected to be a top Rd. 1 pick dropped to the second round. Donnell needs to be pushed and we need to let go of the draft bust Adrien Robinson. Fells should stay and be coached up as the blocking tight end.