By Michael Stewart/@TheTruthNYG
The New York Giants made the most of their limited cap space through free agency and acquired players who fit the team’s need and culture. In house, the Giants main returnee will be Leonard Williams as the Giants re-signed him to a 3 year/$63M deal with $45M guaranteed with an option to walk after year 2. Unfortunately; as expected the Giants lost defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson who signed with the Minnesota Vikings on a 2 year deal at $22M. Let’s take a look at the new faces of the Giants will my final grade as well:
- Kenny Golladay (WR): Golladay was the number one target on the offensive side of the ball in free agency and now he’s a Giant. The contract is for 4 years/$72M ($76M max with $40M guaranteed) as it appeared that the Chicago Bears made a strong push; which raised the amount of the contract. GM Dave Gettleman and Head Coach Joe Judge finally got their #1 WR. GRADE A.
- Klye Rudolph (TE): Rudolph is more of a traditional tight end who can block and move the chains. The deal is for 2 years/$12M per and now it’s unclear if this means the end of Evan Engram or will the Giants employ more a two tight end set. GRADE B.
- Ifeadi Odenigbo (EDGE): Odenigbo grew up in Bayonne NJ and signed a 1 year deal for $2.5M. With the uncertainty of Lorenzo Carter and Oshane Ximines both returning from a season ending injuries and the likelihood of Kyler Fackrell not returning. The Giants needed to add an outside presence with some pass rushing ability. The 6’3/258 pound Odenigbo is only 26 years old and has excelled as a run defender and is starting to show improvement as a pass rusher. Perhaps a change of scenery will help escalate his progress. GRADE B+.
- Devontae Booker (RB): Giants sign Booker for 2 years/$6M to essentially replace Wayne Gallman as Saquon Barkley’s backup. Booker is more of a duel threat than Gallman and has the ability to excel on special teams. GRADE B.
- John Ross (WR): Ross and the Giants have agreed to terms on a 1 year deal at $2.5M with $1M guaranteed. Ross was the 9th overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft and has underachieved thus far. Giants are hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Ross who would deep threat attention (4.22) and also be a weapon on special teams. GRADE B.
- Mike Glennon (QB): The Giants signed Mike Glennon to be Daniel Jones new backup quarterback, replacing Colt McCoy. Glennon has had experience as a starter and as a backup and also coverts a strong throwing arm; which McCoy lacked. Glennon should be a quality plug and play quarterback if Jones loses time due to injuries as he has over his first two seasons. The deal was for TBA. GRADE C+.
- Reggie Ragland (ILB): The Giants signed Ragland to a 1 year/veteran Minimum Deal and he will compete with Tae Crowder for the other ILB position this season. Ragland’s best attribute is his physical game as he is described as a downhill thumper and excels against the run. Ragland is more of a 2 down ILB, so we could see a platoon system with Crowder who is better in pass coverage, being their 3rd down ILB. GRADE C+
- Cullen Gillaspia (FB): Gillaspia will essentially replace Eli Penny on the Giants roster at the FB position. Gillaspia will add much needed help on special teams for the Giants. In 2020 with the Texans, Gillaspia saw most of his playing time on special teams and he should see a similar role with the Giants. The terms of the deal TBD. GRADE C.
The biggest signing among this group is Kenny Golladay who gives the Giants that big wide out target they haven’t had since Plaxico Burgess. These signings are just the beginning as GM Dave Gettleman will now focus on the draft and fill in the rest of the roster. Prior to free agency, the majority of mock drafts had the Giants selecting a wide receiver with their 1st pick. It’s unclear if that has changed now with the additions of Golladay and Ross. Also the addition of Rudolph and now having four tight ends on the roster could suggest a possible trade before the draft. Keep an eye out for my next article as I will dive into what the Giants could do next. FINAL GRADE A-