By Michael Stewart @TheTruthNYG
This will be part 9 in a series of 10 spotlighting the Safeties for the 2021 season. The Giants didn’t address the safety position in either free agency or in the draft and will good reason. Let’s take a look at the projected starters and backups.
- Jabrill Peppers: Peppers is entering his final season on his rookie contract and it remains to be seen if the Giants consider him part of the future. As for 2021, Peppers should find himself being utilizes as a hybrid safety/linebacker in many Patrick Graham defensive packages lining up in the box.
- Ryan Logan: Logan was a late off season free agent signing for the Giants in 2020 and has emerged as a vocal leader in the secondary and a recruiter this past off season. Logan played both the CB2 and safety positions in 2020, but is expected to see a lot more snaps at safety in 2021.
- Xavier McKinney: McKinney will see his full share of snaps in 2021, despite not being considered a starter. McKinney’s rookie season was interrupted by a foot injury (broken foot) that sidelined him for most of the season.
- Julius Love: Love is such a valued commodity and is often overlooked by Giants fans for his contributions to the Giants secondary for his ability to play both the CB and Safety spots well. Look for Love to continue in this role 2021 for the Giants.
Outside Looking In
- Currently the Giants do not have any safeties behind the top 4 mentioned. They do have a few corner backers who could play safety if needed to provide depth.
This is a solid group of safeties for the Giants and one could argue the best group they have had in many years. DC Patrick Graham will employ three safeties in a 5-3-3 defensive scheme sets with Peppers more than likely in the box. Staying healthy will be the key as Jabrill Peppers and Xavier McKinney were both sidelined for a period of time in 2020. If this group can avoid the injury bug, they will be fun to watch.