By Michael Stewart/@golferbad
Introduction: The New York Giants and Washington Redskins played the most exciting games you’ll ever see from two 3-11 teams with a stunning win in overtime by the Giants 41-35. The win pushes the Giants out of the #2 spot and into the #4 spot of the draft with a 4-11 record with Washington now holding the #2 spot with a 3-12 record and the Detroit Lions with their lost to the Broncos sitting at #3. The Miami Dolphins also won today (38-35 overtime win over Cincinnati) as they go to 4-11 and currently hold the #5 spot. The Giants looked more like an 11-3 team in the 1st half with 28 points by halftime. Here are my top 5 reasons why the Giants won:
- Giants Balanced Offensive Attack: The Giants did a great job balancing their offensive attack as Daniel Jones didn’t look rusty at all after missing the last two games by completing 28/42 for 352 yards and five touchdowns; which are all career highs and also the first time a rookie quarterback had 350 yards with 5 touchdowns and no interceptions. Saquon Barkley continues to get stronger in these final games with 189 yards on 22 carries and two touchdowns.
- Giants Defensive Front 7: The Giants haven’t fared well against the run this season as they rank near the bottom half of the league. However; today they looked more like the Giants of the 80’s; limiting the Redskins to only 80 yards of total rushing yards.
- Total Yards: The Giants had 552 yards from scrimmage; which is the most this season as they moved the ball seemingly at will against a Redskins defense that couldn’t make any big stops.
- Giants Defensive Pressure: The Giants only registered three sacks on Haskins and then Keenum, however; collectively the defense had a total of ten tackles that resulted in a loss in the game. Despite surrendering 35 points, the defense made big plays when they needed to.
- Big Plays: The Giants had a couple of big plays that really changed the momentum of the game with Barkley’s 67 yard touchdown run and Jones to Barkley 33 yard touchdown pass and another pass for 51 yards to Barkley setting up another score.
Hero: Going to give it to Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley as both played their best game of the season. Their performance today is what most Giant fans envisioned once Jones became the starter.
Goat: Hard to pin anyone here as the Goat as both teams put on a great show for the fans, but unfortunately someone needs to be nominated and it will be the Redskins defensive front 7 for allowing the Giants offensive line to dominate the line of scrimmage; while surrendering 206 yards on the ground.
Final Thoughts: With the win the Giants have their second two game winning streak of the season and will finish out the season against the Philadelphia Eagles who beat the Giants in overtime a couple of weeks back 23-17. The final game could have playoff and draft implications for both teams as the Eagles must win to hold on and win the NFC east and secure a spot in the playoffs. As for Giants, the win moved them out of the #2 spot of the draft and a chance to draft defensive end Chase Young out of Ohio State seems more unlikely. However; they are still mathematically in it if everything goes there way in the final week of the season; which is losing to the Eagles and the Redskins and Lions finding a way to win against the Cowboys and Packers respectfully.