By Michael Stewart/@golferbad
Introduction: The New York Giants are riding a one game winning streak as they travel to Philadelphia on a short week for a Thursday night game. Both teams are struggling this season and historically the Giants have had their problems winning in Philadelphia. Last time the Giants won against the Eagles was November 6th 2016 at home and the last the Giants won on the road in Philadelphia was October 27 2013. So basically; the Giants have only twice over the last 13 meetings. On offense, the Giants are averaging 16.8 points per game; while the Eagles are at 23.5. On defense, the Giants are surrendering 25.3 points per game, while the Eagles are giving up 29.2. Here are my top 5 ways the Giants could win the game.
- Keep the momentum going: The Giants have had strong starts for two straight weeks (Dallas & Washington) and it’s key for them to do so against the Eagles who have had a tough time when trailing.
- Pressure the Quarterback: Eagles Quarterback Carson Wentz has struggled with interceptions; yielding 9 thus far in only 6 games. The Eagles Offensive line has also surrendered 25 sacks already (4 per game). If the Giants are ever going to have a breakout sack game; this is it.
- Execution: The Giants are slowing improving in 3rd down efficiency and in the red zone over the last two games. If they can keep this momentum going against the Eagles, they stand a good chance of winning this game.
- Bring on the Hogs: The Giants offensive line did a good job against a young and talented Washington front four unit and will now set their sights on an Eagles Defensive front 7 that can disrupt an offense with their pass rush.
- Takeaway/Giveaways/Big Play Moments: The Giants have been improving in the turnover ratio over the last few weeks and also scoring a couple of defensive touchdowns in the process. Historically; Giants vs Eagles games usually come down to a costly turnover or a big play moment and this game should be no different.
Final Thoughts: This game should have the same feel as the Giants game last week against Washington with both teams keeping it close and the game being decided in the last five minutes of the game. Head Coach Joe Judge will certainly remind the Giants of their 1st win last Sunday and what it took to get it. I think the players all realize that they are learning how to win and each win builds character and also confidence. The Giants can steal a win in this game and turn the trend around and into a positive one. This game can go either way and it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s decided on the final play of the game. Thus far I am 6-0 in my weekly predictions of the Giants this season and although history, key injuries and a disappointed season is already evident; I am going to throw out all the stats and logic in this game and go with my gut feeling.
Final Score: Giants-23/Eagles-20